Lockport Union-Sun & Journal — CAMBRIA — Border Community Service of Niagara University will offer a free CERT training course at Cambria Fire Company, 4631 Cambria-Wilson Rd. in Cambria for nine consecutive Wednesday nights from 6:30-9:30 p.m. beginning Sept. 19.
The program culminates with a disaster simulation on Nov. 14.
CERT (Community Emergency Response Team) training is a community preparedness course that includes academic and hands-on instruction as well as a disaster training exercise that is designed to prepare residents to help themselves, family and neighbors in the event of a catastrophic disaster. Individuals can make a difference by using CERT to save lives and protect property in their neighborhood.
CERT training topics include:
• Disaster Preparedness (disasters and disaster workers, community preparedness)
• Emergency Medical Operations I (triage and treating life threatening injuries)
• Emergency Medical Operations II (public health considerations and patient treatment)
• Fire Safety (fire chemistry, hazards, safety and suppression)
• Light Search and Rescue: (search and rescue size up and operations)
• CERT Team Organization and Incident Command System (ICS 100)
• Disaster Psychology (impact of disaster on rescuers and victims and its mitigation)
• Terrorism and CERT (terrorism and its goals, CERT protocols for terrorism)
• Disaster Simulation Training Exercise (course review & hands-on exercise)
Participants must be at least 16 years old and plan to attend all sessions.
To enroll in the course, register online at www.niagara.edu/bcs-enrollment. For more information, please contact Valerie Haseley, Niagara County project coordinator, at 205-0076 or firstname.lastname@example.org.